Places to go on a rainy day in Yorkshire.
It can be difficult thinking of what to do on a rainy day, so here’s some ideas of where to go…
- Bish Bash Pot – York – this is a lovely pottery place in the centre of York with a small soft play area.
- Energi Trampoline Park – York – head to a toddler session at this great trampoline park.
- National Railway Museum – York – hours of fun to be had here and plenty of space to explore indoors. See more here.
- Web Adventure Park Creepy Crawlies – York – a giant soft play place with climbing frames, toy village and great food.
- The Yorkshire Museum – York – dinosaur fans will love the Jurassic Park Exhibition.
- Piglets Adventure Farm – York – we went here on a rainy day and spent time between the play barn and animal house. Alternatively you can go into the Coffee House and use the soft play area without paying to go into the farm. See more here.
- Pear Tree Farmhouse Inns – York – If you need somewhere to meet friends with kids and have a coffee and a slice of cake during the week this is a good option. It tends to be quite quiet in the week and has a good space for the kids to play.
- Summit Indoor Adventure – Selby – I’ve not been here yet but it has Climbing, Bowling. Skating, Play areas and food. Something for all the family.
- SMile Cafe at The Mile – Pocklington – this is a farm shop with a cafe and soft play.
- Captain Barney’s – Malton – this is a cafe with a toy corner and a soft play area. Have a look at my places to eat suggestions here.
- Hesketh Farm Park – Bolton Abbey, Skipton – you wouldn’t think to head for a farm but a lot of Hesketh Farm is indoors. Here’s my review – CLOSED FOR THE WINTER
- Billy-Bob’s Parlour – Bolton Abbey, Skipton – If you fancy eating out this is a restaurant with a play barn. Here’s my review.
- Wendy House Child Friendly Cafe – Ripon – a lovely cafe in the centre of Ripon with a well packed toy corner. See more here
- Little Beans Play Cafe – West Tanfield – brand new Play Cafe as of March 2019. Read more about our visit here.
- Goose – Harrogate – looking for soft play with a difference and the promise of delicious food this is the place for you. Read more here.
- Winkies Harrogate – Harrogate – soft play venue in Harrogate
- Kidzplay Centres – Harrogate – soft play venue in Harrogate
- Squinting Cat Harrogate (Wacky Warehouse) – Harrogate – this is a pub with a wacky warehouse attached.
- Brimham Rocks Adventure Farm – Harrogate – A family run farm with lots indoors and plenty of events. Read my review here.
- Mrs Smith’s Cafe – Harrogate – this family owned and run cafe has a lovely toy corner and fab food. Here’s my review.
- Harrogate Gymnastics Club – Harrogate – a favourite of ours with open play sessions everyday apart from Saturday this is a great option for a rainy day.
- Indulge Cafe – Harrogate – Downstairs from the Gymnastics Club, a cafe with a toy room.
- World of their Own – Harrogate – a unique role play place with a Wild West theme. You can book slots most days of the week. Here’s my review.
- Zen S&B Sensory – Harrogate – this is a great (new as of 2020) Sensory centre just outside Harrogate. They do some specific baby and toddler sessions but you are welcome to book a slot outside of these sessions. Here’s my review of the Baby Sensory session
- Painting Pots Knaresborough – Knaresborough – get creative here.
- High Parks – Bedale – This is a unique cafe in beautiful settings. There’s a pretend village inside and play area outside. Have a look at my places to eat suggestions here.
- Big Sheep Little Cow – Bedale – This is a lovely farm with a soft play barn indoors. See more here.
- The Plough Inn & Fun Farm -Scarborough – There’s soft play here.
- Scarborough SEA LIFE Sanctuary – Scarborough – A great indoor attraction with lots to see.
- Sensory Playhouse – Scarborough – An open ended play area with cafe and a separate sensory room with lights and sounds.
- Alpamare Scarborough – A swimming pool complex in Scarborough.
- Joon Cafe, Boston Spa – this is a small Cafe on Boston Spa High Street which offers a space to eat, play and craft. Here’s our review
- Our Place – Home of BoomChikkaBoom. A small but great venue with free play areas, bouncy castle and themed storytime workshops. Read more here.
- Oxygen Freejumping – Leeds – Trampolining park. Check out their toddler sessions.
- JumpArena Trampoline Park – Leeds – Another trampolining option.
- Royal Armouries – Leeds – Great for a free day out.
- Tumble Town Adventure Play – Leeds – A lovely little soft play village. See more here.
- Tiny Boo – Leeds – A nice alternative to normal soft play. Ideal if you want somewhere a bit smaller. Maybe your little one gets overwhelmed by the bigger, noisy places. See my review here.
- Rainbow Factory – Leeds – We love it here. See why here.
- Tropical World Leeds – Leeds – All indoors and plenty to see. A nice way to spend a few hours.
- The Orangery at Lumby Hall – Leeds – A hidden gem for babies and toddlers. Their play room is packed full of toys. See more here.
- Leeds City Museum – Leeds – There’s always lots going on here so a great low cost option.
- Buttercups – Otley – A nice, cheap soft play place. See more here.
- Eureka! The National Children’s Museum – Halifax – This one is a full day out but it is an amazing place. I’ll do a full review when we go back soon.
- Huddersfield Leisure Centre – Huddersfield – There’s a great splash pool and Reef Fun Zone plus a soft play gym.
- Babyccinos – Mirfield – a coffee shop with play areas, baby garden and toddler forest, this place looks really unique. It’s on our list to visit.
- National Science and Media Museum – Bradford – Lots for little ones to explore here. Again another place on our list.
- FUNZY – Bradford – An indoor inflatable theme park.
- Cannon Hall Farm – Barnsley – This is a great farm. The playground are outside but there’s a big soft play inside and a lot of the animals are in barns undercover. See our review here.
- Clever Tots Play Centre – Barnsley – This is a great little cafe and play room with a separate sensory room. Ideal for under 3’s. See more here.
- Calypso Cove Waterpark – Barnsley – This is an impressive looking swimming pool with lots for little ones. This is definitely on our list.
- Magna Science Adventure Centre – Rotherham – This place is a hands-on experience, packed with interactive exhibits and fascinating displays. Explore the wonders of Science and Technology in our four pavilions – Air, Earth, Fire & Water!
- Xplore – Castleford – There’s soft play here and a cafe, plus Glow-in-the-dark adventure golf, ShakeStop milkshake bar and The Bear Factory experience.
- Doncaster Dome Leisure Centre – Doncaster – There’s swimming, ice-skating and soft play here. Enough to fill a whole day.
- Kelham Island Museum – Sheffield – an interesting museum plus an indoor play area for 2 – 9 year olds.
E. Riding of Yorkshire
- The Deep – Hull – This is such a great place. One of the UK’s largest aquarium. See more here.
- Rock Up Hull – Hull – There’s soft play, cafe and climbing here. Even Toddler climbing sessions.
- Big Fun – Hull – A massive soft play centre.
- Blue Kangaroo – Hull – This is an adventure play centre specifically for under 8’s in Cottingham near Hull.
- Jack in the Box Club – Beverley – This is East Riding’s biggest indoor adventure play centre in Beverley, Hull. It has 3 separate zones for babies, under 4’s and 5-12 year olds.
- Inflatable Nation – Beverley – an indoor inflatable theme park.
- East Riding Leisure Bridlington – great indoor leisure facility.
Another idea is head for your local Library. They have books and colouring and many have storytime sessions.
Hope you found this list useful. It’s always hard to think of places to go on a rainy day so if you know of any more places in Yorkshire let me know and I’ll add them in.